This page will cover the following:
• Space & equipment preparation
• Session preparation
• What to do when you click on the link for each class
Here are some steps you can take to prepare:
Your handouts for classes that offer them will be available after you register. When you enter your account (go to the top of any web page), you will be able to click on each class link to find downloadable handouts as well as the Zoom link.
SPACE and EQUIPMENT PREPARATION
- If you haven’t already, please download Zoom and install on your computer/phone/tablet before July 23rd. It is free (use the app store if on a tablet or smartphone):
- If at all possible, make sure you plug into your modem from your device. WIFI and cellular aren’t as reliable but if that’s your only option, make sure to park yourself near the source (the modem) or in a spot that provides enough bandwidth when on cellular.
- Position lighting in front of you. If there are open curtains or a light behind, this will create a halo-like effect that will place your face and instrument in relative darkness, so please make sure your lighting is in front of you, not behind.
- Make sure your instrument is tuned and you’ve downloaded the handouts for the session beforehand.
- If your instructor has provided backing tracks for the session, be sure to have an audio player on hand. There will be moments when everyone is muted and able to practice with the backing track during the session per your teacher’s instructions.
- Sign into Zoom at least 5 minutes early. You will land in a “waiting room,” and then the session will start on time. There will be no refund if you arrive late (and this can be disruptive for those who’ve arrived on time) and can’t get into the session right away or at all, though we will do our absolute best to accommodate lateness.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU CLICK ON THE LINK FOR EACH CLASS
After you are admitted to each class, please click on “mute” (lower left on your screen) so that sounds in your environment can’t be heard.
There will be moments during the session when your instructor will ask you to unmute yourself (for coaching or Q&A). You will click on the picture of the mic again to unmute.
There should also be a control for muting and unmuting on your photo.
and “Turn on Original Sound” (upper left of screen):
You might have to move your mouse a teensy bit (left or right, up or down—anywhere on the Zoom screen) to get the controls to light up and gain access to them across the lower part of your screen (in preferences, you can tell Zoom to keep your controls on at all times, but it’s best to activate that choice before the session). Included in those tools, will be a “chat” window you can activate (in the options at the bottom of the zoom screen). The chat window will open and you can slide it to the right side of your screen if it doesn’t automatically open there. This will provide access to you if you want to ask a question (raise hand/ lower hand) or type in a comment or question.
Notice how the chat box also provides access to additional files. Your instructor may upload a new file for you to use during the session. The 3 dots to the right of the icon where it says “file,” will provide you with a download choice.